The much-anticipated results of Miss Universe 2018 are finally here. The Miss Universe 2018 winner is Miss Philippines, Catriona Gray. Miss South Africa, Tamaryn Green and Miss Venezuela, Sthefany Gutiérrez stood the first runner-up and second runner-up respectively.
The Top 10 finalists were Miss South Africa, Miss Venezuela, Miss Vietnam, Miss Nepal, Miss Philippines, Miss Costa Rica, Miss Curacao, Miss Canada, Miss Thailand, and Miss Puerto Rico.
The Miss Universe 2018 pageant was held in Bangkok, Thailand. It was also the first pageant where a woman transgender represented her country. The 27 years old Miss Spain, Angela Ponce earned the support and love of many.
“I don’t need to win Miss Universe, I only need to be here” was what Angela Ponce said after she failed to make it to the top 20. We couldn’t agree more to her statement. Her presence made history.
While these were the highlights of the pageant held on 17th December, let’s take our attention back to our Miss Universe 2018 winner.
Here are 10 interesting facts about Miss Universe Philippines 2018, Catriona Gray-
1. Her father is Scottish and her mother is Filipino. So, she is half Scottish, half Filipino, born in Australia. Talk about international.
2. She moved to the Philippines after completing her high schoool in Australia. She worked as a commercial model in the Philippines.
3. Not just a model, she is also a TV host, singer, stage actress, and numerous beauty title holder, including Miss World Philippines 2016.
4. This brings us to the fact that she is the only woman to have won both Miss World and Miss Universe pageants.
5. Catriona Gray has a degree in Music from Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts.
6. Catriona Gray is an active social worker. She has her own project – Paraiso: The Bright Beginnings Project. Her mission is to end povery in the Philippines and she has been actively working towards it.
7. She is also vocal about the importance of education, gender equality, and social justice. She regularly campaigns for HIV/AIDS awareness.
8. Her blog “Cat’Elle” has features her travel experiences, beauty & lifestyle articles, and posts from her project- Paraiso: The Bright Beginnings Project.
9. The three women that she admires the most are –
Broadway star Lea Salonga
Fashion blogger Kim Jones and
Filipina-French actress Solen Heussaff.
10. Last but not least, when asked:
“What is the most important lesson you’ve learned in your life and how would you apply it to your time as Miss Universe?”
“I work a lot in the slums of Tondo, Manila and the life there is poor and it’s very sad. And I have always taught myself to look for the beauty in it; to look in the beauty in the faces of the children and to be grateful. And I will bring this aspect as a Miss Universe, to see situations with a silver lining. And to assess where I could give something; where I could provide something as a spokesperson. And if I can teach people to be grateful, we can have an amazing world where negativity cannot grow and prosper, and children will have smiles on their faces.”
We love her already.
Do not forget to shop through Whitecashback to earn extra cashback and coupons.